Dermal filler is soft tissue filler that is injected into the targeted skin area at different depths to help fill in wrinkles, smooth lines, soften creases, provide facial volume, plump lips, or enhance facial contours. These are soft, gel-like substances and composed of different substances; some of them are naturally occurring, while others are synthetic.
When receiving this facial rejuvenation treatment, always make sure that you choose only Health Canada Approved, brand-name fillers.
Here are the four primary types of dermal fillers for facial rejuvenation that help achieve a younger appearance:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Fillers
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally-occurring slippery substance that your skin already produces. However, as you age, the production of hyaluronic acid slows down, leading to loss of volume, hydration, and plumpness in your skin. There is where HA fillers come into the picture.
- HA fillers help hydrate your skin, add plumpness to it, and add facial volume.
- The results of HA fillers last for about 6 to 12 months or longer.
- Juvéderm® and Restylane® are FDA-approved fillers.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHa) Fillers
Calcium Hydroxylapatite is another naturally-occurring substance found mainly in our bones. This substance is also known to stimulate natural collagen production. In a CaHA filler, calcium particles are very small and suspended in a smooth gel. CaHA fillers have thicker consistency than HA fillers.
- CaHa is typically used to reduce deeper lines and wrinkles.
- The results of CaHA fillers last for about 12 months for most people.
- Radiesse® is an FDA-approved CaHa filler.
- Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) Fillers
Poly-l-lactic acid is a biocompatible biodegradable synthetic substance, which means it is safe to use. It has been used in the medical industry for several years in medical devices, such as dissolvable stitches. A PLLA filler is technically classified as a collagen stimulator because it helps smooth fine lines by stimulating your skin to build natural collagen. The filler itself is dissolved and dissipates a few days after the treatment.
- PLLA fillers are used to treat deeper facial wrinkles.
- Its results can last more than 2 years.
- A popular FDA-approved PLLA filler is Sculptra® Aesthetic.
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) Fillers
Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) filler is a synthetic biocompatible filler, which also contains a naturally-occurring substance called collagen. When using this dermal filler, PMMA takes a form of a micro ball, that remains under the skin indefinitely to provide support, structure, and firmness to the skin.
- PMMA fillers are used to treat medium to deep wrinkles, folds, and furrows, especially nasolabial folds.
- The effects of PMMA can last up to 4 or 5 years
- A commonly recommended FDA-approved PMMA filler is Bellafill®.
The type of dermal filler you need depends on the specific issue you wish to address and other factors. At Sunshine Cosmetic Clinic and Medi Spa, we offer 10+ dermal filler injection treatments, including lip filler, chin filler, cheek filler, tear trough filler, nasolabial folds filler, Botox combined treatments, advanced dermal fillers, and more. To find out what type of dermal filler in Kitchener, Waterloo is the right choice for you, schedule a consultation appointment now.